Thursday, November 13, 2008

a figment, a ghost

i loved you in my dreams, many years ago. you were a figment of my imagination, a ghost in my head. your hands were calloused from the tools of your trade - a pen, a hammer, a scalpel, a paintbrush. your tousled brown hair was rough between my fingers.

but your eyes were spared from the hardships of life. they were soft and yielding and divulged every secret from your soul. your eyes drank me in and searched through the corners of my heart. silently, gracefully, like a gentle spirit walking the corridors within me. you were real, too real for comfort, too real for a dream.

yet you disappeared with the first ray of sunlight as i opened my eyes. your fingers, entwined with mine just a moment ago, released their comforting grasp with the gush of reality and i awoke, my arms outstretched, reaching for something that wasn't there.

cruel slumber, to tease and tempt me and stir a longing for a feeling that i don't deserve. to awaken my imagination and deceive my heart into believing that you exist.

of course you don't. i only loved you in my dreams, many years ago. you were a figment of my imagination, a ghost in my head.

lishun at 10:32 PM

|