Sunday, September 18, 2005

10km, baby!

i hate running. with a passion.

in singapore, i totally abhorred pe because the fitness test included a 2.4km run that had to be completed within 16 minutes 50 seconds in order for me to pass.

i did eventually pass, but it caused me a whole lotta pain and a whole lotta tears.

let's just say i became very very depressed last year simply because i had to do what i dreaded most in order to pass a pe exam that girls have to take because it's unfair for only the national service-bound guys to go through the physical torture.

so, when my best friend persuaded me to join her for the pj half marathon in the 10km women's category, i wondered what the heck i was doing as i filled up the form and collected my number tags.

even this morning, as i waited for her to pick me up at 530am, i still prayed she would call me and tell me she didn't want to go through with it.

but she did pick me up. we did drop our registration cards at the register.

and i did complete the 10km. in 1 hr 25 minutes.

it's not a timing to be proud of; my tennis-playing friend finished in an hour and was among the top 100 women to finish in our category. the woman who finished first clocked 40 minutes. insane, i know.

however, i am so proud to have completed that neverending 10km and emerged without any significant aches and pains (we'll see about that tomorrow, haha).

the fact that i actually controlled myself and didn't give my best pal some lame excuse to FFK her says alot already. two years ago, i would have blown her off.

in the end, the jogging in the rain and the tolerating of the stitch i developed at the 5km mark was all worth it.

i proved something to myself today. i proved that someone who totally broke down at the thought of having to run 2.4km could complete 10km just a year later.

10km, baby! woohoo!

*p/s: i hope mr ong, my pe tutor from singapore, reads this. lol.

lishun at 10:16 PM

|