Saturday, June 13, 2009

twenty-four



"twenty-four oceans, twenty-four skies
twenty-four failures in twenty-four tries
twenty-four finds me in twenty-fourth place
twenty-four dropouts at the end of the day

life is not what i thought it was twenty-four hours ago
still, i'm singing 'Spirit, take me up in arms with You.'
and i'm not who i thought i was twenty-four hours ago.
still, i'm singing 'Spirit, take me up in arms with You.'"


when i first heard this song on a cd a friend burned for me about 5 years ago, i instantly fell in love with it. i guess i was initially drawn to its honesty and vulnerability, eventhough the lyrics meant nothing to me at the time.

but as the years went by, every word took on a meaning of its own. i found myself in tears almost each time i heard it - whether on that old cd, on youtube, or as a cover by mia palencia - because it reaches deep into what my faith is.

"You're raising these twenty-four voices in twenty-four hearts
with all of my symphonies in twenty-four parts
but i want to be one today, centered and true
i'm singing 'Spirit, take me up in arms with You.'"


i can't put into words exactly why this song means so much to me. perhaps it's still the honesty and vulnerability, with an additional realisation of the freedom of His lordship. that's the best way to describe how i feel.

"i want to see miracles, see the world change
wrestled the angels for more than a name
for more than a feeling, more than a cause
i'm singing 'Spirit, take me up in arms with You.'

You're raising the dead in me."


i turn twenty-four today. i have never been so blessed.

lishun at 12:00 AM

|